Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hail To The Chief

So here I am on my prep period. I just got back from watching Obama's inauguration in another teacher's classroom. I have plenty of school stuff I should be doing, but somehow, this feels more important.

To say that it was a historic event is kind of an understatement. I know that, besides myself, this may have been the first time in a long time that so many people cared about the inaugural ceremony. Honestly, had it been anyone else, I probably wouldn't have given up my prep period.

It was also the first time in a long time that I heard a politician speak... and at least want to believe him. All politicians make promises. All newly installed presidents give "inspirational" speeches. But this was the one we needed to hear. It felt good.

But let me tell you my greatest joy... my victory as a musician and as a music teacher. The fact that main event just before Obama took his oath was a stunning performance by Itzhak Perlman and YoYo Ma (accompanied by a clarinettist and a pianist) of an arrangement of Simple Gifts. For a short time, the whole world stopped and listened... they listened to a soulful musical celebration of the American people. It was a declaration of our musical identity, presented without glamour or spectacle... just four performers weaving lines through each other like ballet dancers criss-crossing a stage. It was beautiful.

*Sigh* It's a brand new day, America.... It's a brand new day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you said what I was trying to say. I shouldn't be allowed to blog after bedtime.
The music didn't make the Swedish highlights reel, but this sent me directly to youtube, and it was a great way to start the day. Thanks for sharing.