Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fail

New teachers: you know those days where you drive home thinking that maybe you're in the wrong business. Well, I don't think that ever goes away entirely. Not for me anyway.

So yeah, I had a bad day. No, that's not entirely true... I had a bad 4th period. And it all basically came down to one kid. Where I hate myself right now is in the fact that I could have probably done something about it much earlier int he school year - but I didn't and now I have a kid in my beginning instruments class showing off to his friends how much he knows he can get away with.

My problem is that my classroom management skills relies on alliances with kids in the class. Returning kids help me manage the new ones. When I'm in a class where everyone is new, I am considerably less effective. I know I shouldn't complain - most of you secondary teachers get a whole new batch every year in every period. It's just that I haven't had to do crowd control like that in a while.

The part that gets me is that I am experienced enough to know when the kid is winning. He came into my class with an agenda to disrupt, and every time I chewed on him in front of the class I did nothing but feed his ego. I knew that. I played right into his hands - I am the Sheriff to his Robin Hood. And yet I can't seem to help myself.

I repeat, I am not a new teacher - I'm supposed to be a seasoned veteran, with teaching awards under my belt. But with this kid, I'm not. Today I went to the counselor to admit my defeat - I can't deal with this kid. I need to have him moved. She told me she didn't know if it would be possible - everyone's schedule is packed in too tight. If I'm stuck with him second semester, I'm screwed.

Bleah.

1 comment:

english maven said...

You're not alone, and you don't have to do this alone.

Pack him up. Send him to my room. Get him out of there.

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I think we can find something for him to do.