So, on Wednesday, I went to an informational meeting on the National Board Certification program. It seemed to me that with my efforts to revamp the music program at New Republic High School, becoming a NBCT might help - with all the organization and reflection it requires. The extra money involved doesn't hurt either. The next day I started looking at the online resources - all the requirements I'll have to meet, the assessments that I'll have to endure. It looks like a lot of work, but not impossible. In short, it looks akin to getting through a master's program, and I certainly survived that process.
Of course, I didn't have a toddler to look after when I was doing my masters :-/
I also started talking to some of my friends - and I've been getting very mixed reactions. Some people think that becoming a NBCT is like making it into the Jedi High Council. Others think that it's a bunch of flash and no substance - submit a bunch of paperwork and write out a check - you pretty much get it (based on the fact that they were not impressed with the people they knew who did become NBCTs)
I think I could genuinely use it as a tool to help me get to where I wanted to go anyway. I'm not afraid of hard work, but I am concerned about the time involved.
Well, loyal readers, what do you think?
(Btw: The fortune cookie that came with today's lunch said "Rely on long time friends to give you advice")
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment