Friday, September 25, 2015

Football epiphanies

At tonight's varsity football game:  Had a conversation with a football parent in which she chastised me (as politely as possible) for not playing more at the games.  I tried to explain that the football regulations prevent high school bands from playing just any time they want, but she wasn't having any of it.  We managed to walk away on fairly friendly terms, but the exchange did kind of bother me for the rest of the night.

A couple of things occurred to me:  1)  I tend to have these conversations more when the team is losing.  Apparently, band needs share the blame when NRHS is down by a couple of touchdowns.  2) This woman wasn't really arguing for what was best for the team - she was arguing for what was best for the fans.

It took me a while to recognize the second one.  It didn't really hit me until she told me that I waited too long to play the fight song after a touchdown.  I responded with "Well... that's a direct request from the coaches.  They want to be able to concentrate on getting the extra point without the band blaring in the players' ears.  Every band waits for the conversion."  She looked me in the eye and said "The crowd is bored by then... it's too late"

I didn't know what to say to that.  I thought hiding behind the coaches skirts would be safe enough... apparently not.  Clearly, this is a culture that pretends to idolize the team, but puts the biggest priority in the stands. 

I have often times been envious of the glory bestowed upon the football team - it never really occurred to me that with all of that attention comes immense pressure, along with a political jungle that makes the Amazon look like my grandmother's herb garden.  The more prestigious the program, the less autonomy you actually have as a coach/director... and the less freedom you have just to be... well.. you.  It's times like this that I think a little obscurity suits me just fine.



No comments: