There are times when I think that I need to introduce a little more competition into my routine. Then there are other times when I think competition is completely overrated. Take last night's football showdown with our rival school, *THEIR SCHOOL*. What once might have been a healthy rivalry has turned into an excuse for our students to unleash the most foul aspect of their psyche. It was one of the worst examples of crowd behavior at a high school sporting event that I had ever witnessed. There were times when a large block of students stood and chanted in unison "FUCK YOU *THEIR SCHOOL*" across the field. From what I understand, the opposing stands returned in kind. Lets not forget the coaches and parents yelling and cursing at the referees.
Somebody explain to me how this is healthy competition.
And the one time I wouldn't have minded to see Palpatine to go "Yoda" on the rowdy group of students... well, all she managed to do was turn to one of the teachers and say "Go do something about that." (Needless to say, said teacher just gave her a "you've got to be fucking kidding me" look as Palpatine walked away). I guess there wasn't much of anything that anyone can do with a large crowd of intoxicated, unruly adolescents.
And you want to know what the best part is? Someone decided that this would be a good game to feature on Fox Sports.
Of course... we lost. It's not a fair match to begin with. We're not even in *THEIR SCHOOL*'s league. They also have a marching band about four times the size of my band. That's always fun for our self esteem.
But speaking of my little rag-tag band... they did pretty good, considering that we had precious few melody instruments (and the fact that a lot of the experienced players from jazz declined to play with us... even though they were at the game) I had a lot of beginners show up and hang out with us even though they couldn't play any of the music.
That kind of enthusiasm should be rewarded... and it was... today... with four dozen doughnuts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment