So far this year has started out with a great deal of promise. Going into the first day, I knew that a lot of kids were being funnelled into the music department (some against their will). Fortunately, the admin wasn't set on locking those kids in if they were resistant to being there. Now, a couple of weeks later, the dust has settled somewhat and we still have about 30 more students than have ever been enrolled in the music dept.
I got lucky... no major personality problems. In fact, most of my troubles are logistical. Too many kids, not enough working instruments. Also, I don't exactly know if I can use my regular concert locations... some of my groups might be too big.
But what I have is a dedicated group of kids who are willing to help. My student leadership group is starting out strong. They're jumping on things before I even have a chance to tell them. Also, I have parents coming out of the woodwork to help out. It's really nice.
One parent caught me in the front office as i was checking my mailbox after school and said "I'm so glad you're still here" I thought she meant that she's glad she caught me before I went home. Turns out she was worried that I would leave *MY SCHOOL* after last year.
It's that kind of thing that makes you realize that you're in a good place.
Of course, there are other little rainclouds still roaming around. As nice as Palpatine has been lately, I know that leopards rarely change their spots. Given the fact that I think that my issues with Palpatine ultimately spring from our differences in the way we percieve the universe... well, I think it would take something pretty drastic for her to turn around the way she wants us to think she has.
I hate to sound like a pessimist, but I heard domething yesterday that didn't entirely surprise me. Apparently the drama teacher is now fuming at Palpatine because she told a student to take a sport instead of drama, because "Drama won't get you into a good school"
It's easy for a blind man to board up their windows... they can't miss a sunset they've never seen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment