Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mutiny on the Bounty

So, certain members of my advance choir have come under the impression that they should not be asked to sing anything that they don't like. From what I understand, my selection of a Caribbean holiday carol is prompting several of them to "boycott" by not singing during rehearsal.

So here's where I'm at: The song itself doesn't have a whole lot of educational value. Lord knows it was composed or even arranged by anyone of particular significance. Its just a cheery little holiday song. But now the afore-mentioned malcontent members has put me in a position of having to hold to it simply out of principle. There's no way I can set the precedent that ensemble members have the right to veto a director's selection. No school or professional choir operates thus. I'm imagining an exodus out of this group at the semester over a silly little holiday song. I have to address the situation first thing tomorrow, 0 period.

Fuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking good thoughts for you. Come by today and tell me how it went.