Sunday, December 2, 2007

Comfort and Joy

So, ever since I've worked at *MY SCHOOL* I've been pretty daring about performing religious music at the holidays. So far, everyone's been cool about it. I'm not particularly religious, I just think that the sacred stuff is better music.

I love caroling season. There's something about assaulting people with random acts of beauty.
And when I have a group of singers out in front of a crowd, I get choked up with pride... literally. I try to sing a long with them, but often I have to stop because I can feel a lump of sentimentality forming in my throat, stealing my breath. I've never told them that, maybe I should.

Tonight, one of my former students tagged along on a gig. He's currently attending a local Christian university. He's pretty involved with their music program. He says there's an opening for a band and orchestra conductor, and thought I might be interested. (Apparently, it's something of an assistant position)

Interesting.... I don't know how qualified I might be. I have a master's in instrumental conducting. But universities prefer people who sign their names "Doctor so-and-so" I know band well enough, and I have some orchestra experience. Honestly, I want to interview just to see what chance I have of a gig like that. The idea of working with college players is... appealing. I don't know, it sounds like a pipe dream... but then so did conducting Beethoven at one time... and I've since done that several times. I need more info.

No comments: