Monday, December 10, 2007

I want a bottle of Valium for Christmas

The chaos of the holiday season is upon me. I don't even mean the usual decorating/shopping/card sending craziness... I'm talking about the endless string of performances and duties that besiege the working musician. Man, if all I had to do was shop, send cards and decorate, I'd be happy. As it is, I'm not sure how I'm making it through my classes, as well as preparing two major holiday concerts.

Add to this the pressure of trying to finish two CLAD classes before break. I really have until January, but I suspect that all the other procrastinators will be sending their packets in at about the same time, effectively jamming the system. The earlier I can get it in, the better. Of course, it's my fault for not getting started earlier (like I promised myself in August). Still, I think I can get it all done. I think I owe it to myself to not have to worry about it over break. Thats worth a few late nights at the computer.

I thought I could get some good distance on it this weekend; I only had a couple of light caroling gigs and a private lesson. But I forgot my annual appearance at the local Mormon holiday pageant. (This started some years ago when one of the parents asked me to play my instrument in their concert: pound out a couple of jazzy holiday tunes and pick up some instrumental parts on their choral pieces. It's an easy gig, but it does take a chink of time. I've lost track of how many years I've been doing it.)

This year went as smooth as always. The Mormons are generally nice folk. I feel a little weird hanging out in concentrated groups of them... kind of like an evil coffee-drinking, R-rated-movie-watching, occasional-bad-language-using abomination in their midst. But they certainly don't treat me as such, and they feed me pretty well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is Santa bringing you your CLAD for Christmas? Or does he think you'll put your eye out?

I'm sorry you're so stressed. You'll feel better when everything's done.

Just breathe and find your center.