I'm officially maxed out on the number of private students I can take. I currently have four half-hour lessons and four hour lessons. At one time, I took private students so that I could have a little extra spending cash. These days... I don't know... I probably should have started turning people a while ago. Maybe I'm just to nice to say "no." Or maybe it's something else.
Two lessons today: The first was Madeline. She's been my student since 5th grade. She was referred to me by her elementary band teacher. She was progressing faster than what he could accommodate with the class. I took her on. Three years later, we're playing transcribed Mozart duets.. and I'm making more mistakes than she is. Our lessons have transcended mere instruction in rhythm, fingering and intonation, and have entered the realm of discussion about how to interpret various ornamental figures, and the application of nuances and stylistic practices that are not written in by the composer or the arranger. She's an 8th grader. I feel like I should be paying her for the opportunity to play duets with a competent partner.
The second was Marty. 8th grader. Beginner. Marty was one of those kids who joined band because... well because the counselors put him there. He wasn't sure he was going to enjoy it. After a month of basic training, he decided he wanted private lessons. Today was our first session.
Two things about Marty: 1) He's one of those kids who beats himself up over every little mistake. I felt like I spent half the lesson getting him to relax and stop apologizing. 2) He's driven to learn how to play. If he maintains that intensity, he'll be another Madeline before long.
Mom came to pick him up after an hour. I talked with her briefly while Marty was putting his instrument away. Marty apparently grew up without a Dad. He's at that age where he needs role models. Apparently, I've become one.
So... why do I give lessons? Maybe it's because I get a chance to play. Maybe it's because I get a chance to get in close and do some high-octane teaching... the kind that has a big pay-off.
Of course... the cash for new toys is nice, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
As a kid who skipped from one private instructor to the next, I hope you don't give it up. It's so hard,as a student, to find someone who's what you need. For me, it was a combination of both challenging me and yet encouraging me (I had one who was really challenging, but who was such a jerk I always left feeling defeated. I hated him b/c I knew I was good, but he treated me as if I sucked, which made me want to cry.) Finally, my college flute teacher was what I needed -- she got on my case, but was also really supportive and encouraging. I got praise when it was deserved. Please do keep giving lessons -- those kids need you!
Post a Comment