Thursday, November 6, 2008

"Yes we can"

... oh I certainly hope so...

In a way I don't envy the man: We're looking at him to be the next Kennedy at a time when we desperately need another Kennedy. I think most people agree that the challenges he faces in the next few years will make his historic campaign look like a walk in the park.

But all of that aside, I'm really happy with the election. I think it goes far beyond a victory for the African-American population. Whether or not Obama is up to the job... the polls prove that the majority of the country is finally ready to set aside petty things like race when it comes to looking for the answers to the really important questions.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to put a lot of things right. For so long, I've felt conflicted about expressing how I felt about being an American. So many noble and enlightened things in our past that I'm proud of, and yet so many things done (recently) "in my best interests" that have disgusted me. Word on the grapevine is that like a lot of us, the rest of the world is looking forward to a better America. I hope we can deliver.

No comments: