I will admit to this - I am a disgustingly easy person to take advantage of. Take drama teacher's upcoming music theater show. He came to me (a little over a week ago) asking for help finding musicians to play in the pit. It is unclear as to whether or not he expects me to have anything to do with the production beyond that. He said he's not using a conductor, but I don't know how he's going to keep the band together.
I'm also not sure if he wants me to help assemble the product(ie. attend the rehearsals) I can't really do it with Maertro Jr. at home - my wife would go nuts without my help and we'd have to send the little guy to his granparent's for the week.
The problem is, he isn't the best communicator, and he hasn't responded to my e-mails.
Last minute stuff stresses me out - and while I do it to myself all the time, I can't handle someone else's last minute stuff and mine at the same time. I'm already a wreck this weekend from being sick and trying to organize all sorts of music department stuff.
Ugh, I'm getting too old for this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Do what he asked you to do and no more. Don't offer. Don't ask. When and IF he does ask you, practice saying, "No."
"I have Dad duty at night."
"I have plans already."
"My calendar is booked."
He is taking advantage of you like he does with everyone.
Practice.
It just occurred to me that he never works with the same people twice... either he can't find people who meet his standards or....
Yeah. "Or."
Post a Comment