So much to write about this month... and only now have I had a chance to sit down and write it all out. December is, after all, a busy month for musicians. So busy this year that I actually almost missed the holiday spirit myself.... almost. I didn't put up any decorations. I got my holiday shopping started very late. I didn't go out of my way to wear Christmasy things. Heck, if I wasn't dragging my choir all over So. Cal caroling for cash, I wouldn't know it was Christmas at all. But like Ebenezer Scrooge, I did manage to find my "Peace on Earth, good will to men"... if not a little late.
Here are the highlights of the December:
The End of the Football Season (Finally)
I resolved myself that I was going to have to play the remaining games for football play-offs. Fortunately, there was only one more after the fateful Thanksgiving game. I managed to get a decent students turn-out, but I had to cancel some personal plans (which put me in a bad mood). It did, however, earn me some brownie points with Assistant Principal Bob, who knew that I had places to be that weekend. This is the issue that probably delayed my holiday cheer early on.
I would like to add that after all that talk about school spirit and how sad it is that I don't support the athletic teams enough... none of the administrators, coaches or athletic parents bothered to show up to either of our winter concerts (see below). Funny how that works, isn't it?
Winter Instrumental Concert
It went pretty well, actually. Everyone did well... even band. (They managed to pull it out of their butts at the last minute). Lovesick Choir Mom rallied the parents together to provide a massive reception (which is interesting given that she doesn't have a kid in the instrumental program... but then it's really no surprise, either.) Actually, in the weeks before the concert she managed to stress me out more than help. I think she wants to help so badly, but not being a musician she doesn't know how to contribute to the musical product... so she frets about all the peripheral stuff, and throws things like receptions to the forefront of my attention. That usually does nothing but tax my already stretched attention span even more (and folks... I do not multitask well.)
Vocal Concert
This also went pretty well. The funny thing is... I wasn't looking forward to it the way I usually did. By the time this concert rolled around I was just tired and stressed out. So what pulled me out of my funk? Maybe it was the girl singing the Brazilian pop song to her sobbing mother in the front row. Maybe it was listening to the vocal duet that I heard being rehearsed back in September... and realizing how far a journey that they had come with that song. Maybe it was the fact that more than anything else I was worried that little Autistic Billy might have a meltdown in front of an audience. But once he got on and off the stage (without incident, I might add)... well.... everything seemed to just mellow out. When we finally got everything packed up afterwards, it was the firts time I felt that "good" kind of tired.
New Sherrif in Town
So... the new drum coach came in to meet the 3rd period drummers. They liked him.... no... they loved him. I left him alone with the durmmer for one period, after which they told me they learned more from him in one day than they had learned from the old drum guy in a whole semester. Probably and exaggeration... but the point is... it looks like drum line is set.
Holiday Caroling
So... my advanced choir has been doing caroling gigs since early December. It's usually one of my favorite things to do. This year it felt kind of like a "job"... you know... I was showing up to everything and getting the task done... but all the while I'm thinking "Okay, when do we get the check?"
The last few gigs turned that around:
A) Singing for the teachers and staff at the yearly PTA holiday party - We got lots of warm fuzzies for that (we do every year)
B) Caroling through the school halls on the day before winter break - I get a kick out of hearing things from students like "Wow... we have a choir?...... and they're good?"
C) Choir Party/Caroling in residential area - I had a bad taste in my mouth from last year's party; some of last year's seniors had gotten kind of cynical and almost ruined it. This year was different. We even had alumni show up and join us as we walked up and down the streets singing our gig set. There's something about knocking on a door and letting loose with a gorgeous arrangement of "Angel's We Have Heard On High" on unsuspecting residents and holiday party-goers. But the best reaction... well that was bringing a little holiday cheer to 90-year-old Harriet (Who I am told is not long for this world)... watching the look on her face as she stood on her balcony... held up by her family members so she could see over the railing... well that sort of thing stays with you.
So... after weeks of aching for winter break, I find myself mulling over the photos I took over the last few weeks... and I realize how proud I am of my students, and how I'll miss the joy of the holiday music.
Happy Holidays everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment