So, I used to complain about how late our district gets out of school for summer. Then I heard about these schools. It seems that a miscalculation of the required number of minutes mandated by the state is causing these pour souls to endure an extra 34 days of school. The "extra" days are making up for 34 days that were declared null-and-void because they were five minutes too short. So rather than add up the five-minute instances (which would have come to just under three hours), they just proclaimed each short day invalid. (Apparently it has something to do with another clause somewhere in the ed code.) So, the district either keeps the kiddos in school for another 34 days -or- they get penalized something like 7 million dollars for failure to comply with the state mandate.
Yeah.
Believe it or not some of the parents are in favor of it (either they think it will keep the kids out of trouble for an extra month in the summer, or it'll somehow help prepare the kids that much more for college applications.) I haven't heard whether or not the teachers are being paid for this, or if the district is saying "Sorry guys, those short days didn't count towards your contract." If I were one of their union reps, I'd be locking-and-loading right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Those teachers MUST be paid for those extra days. If not, then it's slave labor!
Post a Comment