Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Burden of Fatherhood

Last week Prince (one of my advanced choir singers) asked me if he could address the class after rehearsal. I figured it would be something inspirational (at least I hoped that it was) so I agreed. With ten minutes to spare I handed the floor to him. Prince proceeded to tell a little of his life story, which was kind of sad (His father abandoned the family when he was still a baby.) But he eventually brought it around to the fact that he found sanctuary in the music department, and was especially appreciative of the advanced choir. It all came to a tearful focus when Prince looked at me and said that I was the closest thing to a father that he had, and that I should give Cameron (my son) all the love that was denied to him as a small child.

I know that every now and then I get that kind of testimonial. It always makes me feel a little uncomfortable, only because I shouldn't have to stand in for someone's absent or neglectful parent. Alas, the world is what it is. At the same time, it's a very powerful and humbling statement - most of us don't choose our father-figures. The ones that do put a great deal of faith and trust in that individual.

Afterwards, I thanked him for the trust. I also said - "I wish I could help you deal with all of your father issues... but you may lay them to rest on your own, if and when you become a father yourself."

That seemed to be an uplifting thought.

1 comment:

english maven said...

Wow. Powerful. You DO inspire that kind of devotion -- because you are Good Person.

PS: So looking forward to meeting Maestro Junior soon!