Monday, November 2, 2009

Staff Underdevelopment

Today was a non-student day devoted to staff development I spent half of it in ant-bias training from the Anti-Defamation League. The other half was spent more productively in intercampus discipline groups. Here's the gist:

* Whoever invented the discuss-in-small-groups-then-write-your-ideas-on-a-big-piece-of-paper model for meetings needs to be dipped in honey and buried up their neck near a mound of fire ants.

* Apparently, I'm not the most bitter person on campus regarding Former-Principal Palpatine. One of my colleagues took the opportunity to get a shot in during a group discussion. He was shooshed quickly (in the name of professionalism, I'm sure). What was more surprising was the person who defended Palpatine.

* I am continually surprised at how vindictive, petty and scheming people can be. And I'm not talking about Palpatine.

* Drama Teacher revealed that the district is planning on building new performing arts facilities at New Republic. I would get new music rooms. This excites me and scares me at the same time. There's a lot of history in the NRHS music rooms, and I'd be sad to see them go. I also fear the incompetence of administrators, architects and engineers who have shown the ability to fall short of meeting musicians needs. I also fear giving up much and getting back little. (smaller office, less storage space). At the same time, it would be nice to have a theater on campus.

No comments: