Monday, September 20, 2010

New School Year Blues

From the e-mail annals of The Maestro:

Parent #1: You gave Carter a "0" for not turning in his student contract, but he never recieved it in the first place.

How I responded: If you'll check, you'll find the contract on the back page of the syllabus. He can still sign it and turn it in for full credit.

How I wanted to respond: For the love of Pete, woman... it's on the same page as the band fee payment instructions... you know, the piece of paper that I know you read, because you e-mailed me immediately to ask for a full scholarship for the band expenses.

******

Parent #2: I am saddened to hear that you have decided to remove Sam from the jazz class, and that you took such a long time to tell him that it wouldn't work out. We will continue giving him drum lessons on the side and audition for the following year.

How I responded: I apologize for any mis-communication. I did have a conversation with Sam early on as to why I couldn't take a third drummer. I didn't take him out of the class immediately, because I wanted to confer with the counselor to see what his options were, and to consult with you as well. I look forward to hearing his audition in the Spring.

How I wanted to respond: I am saddened that Sam chose to have the counselor enroll him in the class without talking to me first. We announced auditions for the group last year - I'm wondering why he didn't make his appearance then. If he goes out for sports, please advise him to talk to the coach before he shows up in uniform to the first practice.

*********

Parent #3: I am confused, why does Scott have to buy a choir dress?

How I responded: He doesn't. You're looking at the universal fee payment form for the entire music department. Only check the items he needs for the class he's enrolled in.

How I wanted to respond: Because we're encouraging a free-thinking, tolerant society that promotes an open-minded approach to lifestyle choices. If you have any questions or concerns about this "new direction" please feel free to contact me.

No comments: