Okay, as a follow up comment to my last post - I think the school in general is off to a rough start. I, on the other hand, have been kicking ass and taking names. Well... I'm doing better than usual, anyway. I still feel like I'm behind - but since I really have been using almost every waking moment productively, I can go to sleep with a clear conscience at least.
My syllabi have gone through a major editing, and are the most comprehensive they've been in years.
My beginning-of-the-year procedures have been made more efficient.
My school web site has been updated - with the complete schedule up through the end of the semester.
My student / parent e-mail communication has been lightning fast (so far).
Yup, I'm about as on-top of it as I can be.... let's see how long it lasts.
Anyway, on to the really cool thing that I did last night. A few weeks ago I got a call from a woman who is involved with a local jazz festival (not a scholastic one - I mean a series of big name performers... like Dave Brubeck, etc.) She offered free tickets to me and my kids with the possibility of meeting the performers after the shows. I happened to be at my desk while on the phone with her, so I opened up my web browser, clicked on the link she gave me and looked down the schedule. I saw the name of *LEGENDARY SAXOPHONE PLAYER* listed on Friday, Sept. 10th and immediately asked if we could get seats for that show. She happily obliged.
So, I sent out a few e-mails trying to get some interest going. Only a handful of kids responded - 8 in all. I mean, I know if it were Lady Gaga tickets, I would have gotten a far more enthusiastic response... this was more like the "extra-credit-assignment-that-looks-like-a-bit-of-work" crowd.
It just so happens that one of the kids lives right across the street from the venue, so he asked his parents if he could host a dinner for the students going to the show. They happily agreed. So at 6 p.m. we all met at his house - had a nice pasta dinner, then leisurely walked over to the hotel where *LSP* was playing. We got our tickets at the Will Call window, and made our way inside. Our contact (the nice lady who called me) found where we were sitting, and gave us instructions on what to do after the show.
The concert itself was amazing. *LSP* and his band (an organist and a drummer) were not only fantastic players, they were really damn funny... Their in-between-the-songs banter had the audience in stitches. I was surprised at how bluesy the program was - I had seen *LSP* live before and he was a lot more pop/smooth jazz. But later, I read online that he was trying to disassociate himself from his smooth-jazz image... and I don't blame him. I mean, who wants to hang with that crowd? I also have to say - the organist was half the show. He was a big heavy-set guy with Harry-Potter hair, hipster glasses and a goatie. He was definitely Ed McMahon to *LSP*'s Johnny Carson - and he even sang and played trumpet (yes... while he was playing the organ) during the show as well.
Afterwords, we were shuffled off to the side of the venue (an outdoor amphitheater) and waited until *LSP*'s manager brought him over to talk to us - he looked a lot more frail than he did on stage... and much older than when I saw him last. But he was friendly - he signed autographs, posed for pictures, and even told my kids a charming vignette about how he got kicked out of his elementary school band program when he was a kid... for not being able to read music... He finished that off with a wink in my direction, which made me chuckle. At the same time, I got the message - be careful who you write off as a failure, they may end up far more talented and capable than you someday.
Walking back, the kids were aglow with excitement, and it was exciting to see them so enthusiastic about music that was slightly before the time of some of their parents, even. So all-and-all it was a fabulous Friday: Good food, good music, got to meet a famous dude, and happy kids in the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wowowowowowowowowowowow!
One of your minions invited me, but I had plans with a couple of m'ladies.
I'm glad you had a good time, and I want to hear about it live and in person!
I'm also glad you are KAATN. I am not yet at that stage!
Post a Comment