Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Dolphin in the Tuna Nets

So as you know... part of my 'great reform' involves pull-out sectionals in choir, where I go around and check each kid individually. (Mostly that's meant to light a fire under the kids who want to sit in the back and do their math homework instead of sing. ) I'm trying not to make it traumatic for people - inevitably I end up instilling terror in some kids.

Katy, for example, is a reasonably cooperative kid. She never acts out in class, shows up on time, always participates, shows up to the performances. She's far from being the best singer - in fact she's rather tone deaf, and prone to singing in her low register with a range of about a minor third at best.

Katy is also the kid who bursts into tears any time she's asked to sing by herself. I don't do it a lot... only when I'm going around checking on everyone individually. I feel really bad for her, but I can't excuse her from going through the same process that everyone else goes through. What makes it worse is that she's the only girl in her section who has difficulty just matching pitch - everyone else has a handle on the part, some of them are just really really quiet. But Katy... she's trailing the pack pretty badly, and it's pretty obvious.

It makes me feel like a complete rat-bastard.... but there's really nothing I can do. Given the philosophy of my Concert Choir class, I have no intention of holding her grade accountable for her ability. Grades are mostly participation based and... well, she is participating. Even when I ask her to sing by herself... she never resists, she just gets really embarrassed and turns four different shades of red. Her eyes then start puffing up and in no time flat she looks like she's gone a couple rounds with Mike Tyson.

I don't know... I get caught between wanting to penalize the goof offs who really don't deserve an easy A, and helping out the kids who need to be cut some slack.

Phhttt.

4 comments:

TJ Shay said...

I have been teaching chorus for 25 years and I require four 'sectionals' per month. I do, at times, make kids sing alone, but if I am going to try to correct his/her pitch problem, I dismiss others.

Although I completely understand your conundrum, I don't think it is really doing kids a favor in the long run to let them sit in the back and sing atonally. When I first started teaching, I never singled a kid out (even privately), but once I started doing it, I realized that VERY few kids are actually tone deaf. They sometimes need a little pitch (and attitude) adjustment. I have had many who have gone the tears route, but I think in the end they appreciated that I cared enough about them to help them sound like the others.

Just wanted to add my opinion. I know you FEEL like a jerk, but I think in the end, it's what is best. I think most kids who are off pitch know they are, hence the embarrassment of singing alone. I usually tell them it's my job to help them. If everyone came in a great singer, I would be out of a job.

musicteacher said...

I agree with TJ. I think evaluating students in that way is part of showing that music is a skill that everyone can learn, and validates the need for having music teachers. And, as I tell my students, I'm still shy singing in front of people, but as a general elementary teacher, it's my job to do so all day long. And I wish someone had made me get used to it when I was young.

I have trouble with my selectively mute students (I seem to have many more of them in my career than is usual). Every time I go through the class, I ask them if they want to try. My student now always shakes her head "no" and then I write down a "1" for her. Good thing she can perform rhythms, so her grade averages out ok.

Maestro said...

Thanks for the input guys. It's not so much whether or not I do it... I'm just lamenting the fact that I put kids who are trying their hardest in a tough spot.

But then that's part of the gig, isn't it?

TJ Shay said...

It is a hard part of the job. But, when they triumph over the tone-deafness, it's worth it. Not everyone does, but I would say 95%.

As for what Music Teacher said, I actually teach 4-12 and I do 'make' the elementary kids sing in front of everyone. I try to make it as confrontation-free as possible. The painfully shy people can come up to the front of the room and stand VERY close to me and sing, but I do have everyone sing. I think the nonchalant attitude about it makes them think it is a normal thing to do.

On the very rare times that they flat out refuse, we talk after class and they end up singing the next time. Typically, because I have done this for a number of years and no one can opt out, it isn't a problem at all. The very quietest girl I have ever had sings from her seat now and participates!! :-)