Captains Log 3252011.9 - Was teaching an SAB version of "America the Beautiful" to my choir today. Stopped to talk about some of the lyrics and what they mean. Got on a tangent about how people often blindly recite the Pledge of Allegiance or the Star Spangled Banner without much thought to the text. Somehow I got on the subject of 9/11. That's when the high-functioning autistic kid in the front row chimed in:
"When 9/11 happened, my Mom said that all the Muslims in our neighborhood must have been really happy. She says they were throwing parties and stuff."
Stunned silence from the class. I quickly diverted attention by jumping into another song. While the class fished through their folders for the music, I had a word with Autistic Ted on the side.
Oh man... I hope I don't get a phone call on that one. I mean, it's not like it was my fault or anything... but.... damn....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment