We won our big cross town rivalry game. It was a good game and everyone had fun... except maybe our opponents. I'm happy for the team - they earned it. I'm really happy for the coach (he's a good guy). But the crowd of students... well, it's up for debate whether or not *they* deserve a winning team. Well, a lot of them do. But this game brings out some of the worst in people on both sides of the field, and while Friday's game wasn't as bad as I've seen, I still had moments when I wanted to cover up my NRHS band shirt. There were times when the crowd was chanting obscenities at the opposite side (to be fair, the opposite stands were just as bad). It was promising, at least, that there was an effort by other students to cover that up with louder, less offensive chantingThe students rushed the field at the end of the game, despite being told not to. Some of them didn't even wait for the clock to run out. Others flashed the finger to the administrators as they ran past them. At least none of the band kids were involved - they were too busy making sure their instruments didn't get trampled by the mob.
This isn't particular to NRHS, I suppose... close basketball game can prompt overturned cop cars in some towns... and there are parts of the world that celebrate a soccer victory with molotov cocktails.
Still, there are schools out there that carry that embrace with far more class. I'm just a little envious of that - moreso than if we had lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment