Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Give and take...

So... my choir crisis seems to ave subsided. This makes me happy because all the people involved were students that I like. It would have made me sad to have bad thoughts between us.

But before I start feeling too good, I must tell you about my meeting with Palpatine today:

She and I met with some of my colleagues over our plan to start an after-school band and strings program for the elementary students on our side of the district. Now, I have to admit... Palpatine did and said a lot of good in this meeting (which she has done before) but just before we adjourned, it became apparent that her support comes with a renewed hope that we'll be forming a marching band soon.

Now, this comes as no surprise to me. But what annoyed me the most about the end of the meeting was the blatant misconceptions that she has about me. She doesn't understand why I teach music. She thinks I want to train future professional musicians. Actually, I would actively discourage kids from wanting to be professional musicians... it's scraping a hard living by playing mostly pop drivel. What I want is to give people a gift of beauty. To take something away that they'll use for the rest of their lives.

For her, it's all about the kids having fun. That's what I'm good for.... keeping the kids entertained. Lord knows that I'm all about having fun... but... shit...

The few people that read this blog know what I'm getting at. I need to say it anyway.

2 comments:

Q6 said...

You remember that part of "Pretty Woman" (not what I'd generally quote to anyone, but stay with me here) when Richard Gere says [about opera]: "If they love it, they will always love it; if not, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never be a part of them"? OK, you're the former, Palpatine's the latter, and she's never going to truly understand it. She may say she understands it, but she doesn't. And if you ever find a principal who does understand it, there's a really good chance he or she won't be allowed to DO anything about it.

I hear ya. I'm just sayin'. . .

Anonymous said...

Man, oh man. I'm so sorry! You are far more than just the go to guy for "fun". You're a musician, and you make the world a more beautiful place.



Freakin' reductive, is that label "fun". Argh.