I know I've been sounding negative lately. That's probably the stress talking. It's my own fault, really, for taking on as many projects as I did this year. But I do see the end of the year in sight... and it looks like I'm going to cross the finish line in one piece.One of the extra things I took on is playing alto sax for a concert with a local volunteer orchestra (mostly made up of Mormons). I've done a lot of gigs for the Mormons over the last few years... mostly holiday concerts. Nice people (1). This particular concert features all-American music, and includes works that utilize a huge mixed chorus and children's choir as well (2). They're finishing up the whole program with Rhapsody in Blue, hence the need for saxophonists.
I was referred to the conductor by one of the school board members (3) who has seen me play on numerous occasions. They told me that they could pay me but it wouldn't be much. I told them not to bother - I don't get a chance to play much these days... and really, all you have to do is say the name "Gershwin" and I'm there in a heartbeat.
As much as I love being a conductor, I miss a great deal about being an ensemble performer. No score study, no big decisions to make... just make sure you can play your part and keep it in tune. The rest is sitting back and enjoying the show from the inside.
I have to say, for a volunteer orchestra, it's pretty darn good. There are no noticeably weak players, and several particularly strong ones. The principal clarinetist nails the opening cadenza to the wall (4), and the lead trumpet is so solid, I was thinking of asking her to come clinic my kids. There are a few high school and even middle school kids in the orchestra... but even so, they seem to be keeping up (5).
Man... I thought I was doing this as a favor, and as a means of just building good public relations... but this is ending up being a particularly therapeutic endeavor for me. To play.... just to play.... And of all things, something as satisfying as Rhapsody... You know, there's no humanly possible way to over-schmultz the slow melody, it just drips with sentimentality. *sigh*
And to boot... we get to perform in the newly-built multi-gabillion-dollar performing arts concert hall(6). This will be the last of five big performances I will have done in two weeks. I hope my tux holds out.
(1) They feed me pretty well, too.
(2) Mormons don't do anything small.
(3) The guy used to teach music in our district. When I first met him, he was the band director at one of the other high schools. He is a very good ally to have.
(4) ...and on Rhapsody, if you don't have a clarinetist who can nail that cadenza, you might as well give the audience their money back.
(5) You can always find the lost ones by watching their bowing.
(6) Not as nice as the Disney Hall... but nice enough to attract world-class talent.

No comments:
Post a Comment