This is probably premature... graduation isn't for a couple of days yet. But here's my senior send off:
Mr. BadAssBass - You are one of my great failures. I spent years teaching you that bass players can get away with everything from talking and eating in rehearsals to not having to show up at all. I hope that your continuing education will teach you differently.
Captain Bass - You gave me a lot of loyalty over the years... I hope it was worth it for you. I never gave you enough credit for everything you did... not until the very end. I hope it was enough.
Ms. ArtsyAlto - You are a truly beautiful human being. It's not so much that you are talented, it's that you use your talent to say things that are important. I have had many capable students, but few that get it. I'm not too proud to admit: I play favorites. You're one of them.
Mr. TallTenor - I don't know what happened. You were supposed to be one of my strongest seniors. I guess 08' was the year of 'Me.' In the end, I'm not angry, I'm just sad that it wasn't better.
Ms. SassySoprano - You were one of my best singers for a long time. I feel like you may have become a little jaded about singing in this last year. I hope you keep with it. It would be a shame for the world to lose a good performer. There were times when the only reason I pulled out some of those harder songs was because I knew you would hold the soprano part down.
Mr. DissatisfiedBass - I'm glad you stuck it out to the end. In particular, I'm impressed that even though you were tempted to quit, you never shirked on your responsibilities to the group. You were there every day, on time and you sung your part... even on the songs you hated. You rock.
Mr. PotSmokinSax - Gotta give you credit - you pulled it out of your ass in music theory class... and you didn't argue about assignments you may or may not have turned in... you simply went back and learned the material you were supposed to. Lay off the weed, and you'll do okay... you have the brains.
Mr. 1stChairViolin - Nice job on the Bach Double Violin Concerto. Only one complaint: you waited until your senior year to sign up for orchestra.... WTF?
Ms. CluelessViola - Remember what I said: When you apply for those music schools that won't accept you... you have to lie about who your high school music teacher was.
Ms. PianoSinger - I feel I may have failed you this year. Not enough recognition, perhaps. You have a strong sense of having things done properly, which clashed with my willingness to abandon protocol in favor of getting the job done. Maybe you lost respect for me because of that. Still, I hope it was a good year for you.
Mr. PerkyTenor - You may think you never stood out... because you were a middle-of-the-road tenor. Because you weren't one of the more dramatic members of the group. You stand out because you are a damn fine human being. I've told you so... many times.
Mr. 2ndTrombone - Dude... I think I've said like ten words to you the whole time you've been in jazz. Um..... hey, thanks for the great times! Take care and have a great summer!
Ms. GigglyAlto - I'm sorry music theory didn't work out for you. All the same, you had a smile and a hug when I needed one. That was worth a lot.
(more to come as I am inspired)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Have I told you yet you remind me of my high school band teacher? He was a fantastic man. And a fantastic teacher. I'm sure you are too. Too bad your admin seems to suck.
Post a Comment