Saturday, June 7, 2008

Oh Yeah...... THAT'S Why I do this...

So, Darth Dumbass decided to show up to last night's concert after all (1) It was awkward walking around backstage and bumping into him.(2) Furthermore, my stomach was eating itself with anger the whole time.

The concert came off okay. It felt amateurish: there were some logistics that we didn't work out all the way, so there was a little bit of chaos backstage. Also, we had a ringer in the cello section that had never rehearsed with the orchestra. Furthermore, we didn't get a chance to do a sound check on the stage (which few of the kids had performed on before) so there were some awkward moments here and there as the balance and timing fluctuated (particularly with the jazz group: The rhythm section washed out the horns pretty badly at times.)

I wouldn't say it was a bad concert, just not our best. And with the drama with Darth Dumbass... it left me more than a little drained - which is why I was particularly tickled this morning to get this e-mail from the parent of one of the other kids:

Indefatigable - untiring, inexhaustible, Mr. M, bustling, unsleeping, Mr. M, undrooping, unflagging, unwavering, undaunted, Mr. M, persevering, indomitable, unfailing, steadfast, did I mention Mr. M?, hard-working, diligent.

Thank you, thank you for last night's concert. What a delight! I can't tell you how much our family enjoyed it, including three grandparents. I think the best thing, however, was watching our daughter's face all evening. She could barely contain herself, she was so happy. Afterwards, she told me that there were a few times a year or two ago that she contemplated giving up saxophone. The only thing that kept her going was her dream that one day she might get to play in the jazz band. Well that dream came true last night. Pure joy! Thank you!!
So... whatever mental funk I had going on last night, obviously it didn't affect the audience (whew). And the warm-fuzzy couldn't have been timed better.

1. His girlfriend convinced him to go.
2. I knew that he knew that I said that I knew that he said that he wouldn't go... or something like that.

No comments: