Thursday, February 5, 2009

Craptastic Part II

So... the call to Disney's Lost and Found yielded no results. On one hand I appreciate the fact that they were SO nice, and told me over and over "Don't give up... it may turn up yet." On the other hand I think I'd like to just accept the fact that it's gone and move on.

I do have to say.... I was expecting something of a lecture from my wife. She didn't give me one. She just gave me a big hug when I came home and said "I love you" which is exactly what I needed. And in turn, I handed over the box of "Mickey & Friends" mints that I bring home every year for her.

So... here's the deal. I am going to have another camera eventually. I'm not going out and ordering one on the internet tomorrow. I have to save up. I teach private lessons on the side... that's how I buy most of my toys. With what I have stashed already, I can get another camera by April, probably.

Here's what I lost: Nikon D80 with a Nikkor 18-200mm VR lense. I paid about $1500 for the body and lense separately. But a few months after I bought the D80, Nikon unveiled the next model, the D90. The D80s are still available but for considerably less. I could replace the eaxct kit I had for about $1200 sooner -or- I could spend something more like $1600 to get the D90 kit. It has some nifty new features, like a self-cleaning sensor (and if you work with digital SLRs you know how awesome that is)

I'm inclined to do the latter. By my calculations, I should be able to order one just before Spring Break. *Sigh* I'm such a consumer whore....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you were expecting a lecture, I'll give you one long distance. Do you really NEED to replace your camera? You're saving to buy a house, right? The time to do that is when the market is down. The longer you have to wait to buy a house, the more likely the market is to recover by then, and you'll end up paying more (not even figuring what you've spent on rent).

I'm sure the camera that you lost had a lot of features that your old one didn't. The camera that you want has even more features. Do you really NEED these features? I'd bet if you challenge your skills as a photographer a little, you'll discover that your old camera is really quite sufficient.

Even though I could easily justify buying a new camera every year, I choose to stay with the Canon XTi which was new fall 2006. I believe the Nikon equivalent is the D50. It is most certainly "good enough" to meet my needs.

Sure, I understand the compulsion to buy the latest gadgets or tools. I think that's a Y chromosome thing. Just like a lot of women feel the need to buy new purses or shoes all the time. But I encourage you to fight those primal urges and think about your priorities.

OK, lecture over. You may now take a deep breath and ignore this.

Maestro said...

No,no... all good points. You're right, it probably is a Y chromosome thing.

The interesting thing is that between the body and the lens that I lost, I'm more likely to replace the lens. It was a great all-around lens that was really really versatile, made it so that I didn't have to carry more than one lens around. It also had the Vibration reduction which I had fallen in love with.

The reasons for wanting something other than the D50 really came down to a) more megapixels and b) the self cleaning sensor on the D90.

Anyway, I'm not going to go out and buy something right away. I'll have time to think about it.