Monday, February 23, 2009

The Grim Reaper Cometh?

So anyone living in Calif.... ummmm... anyone living near Cal....

Okay, anyone who's ever heard of California knows that we're in a financial pickle. Of course, it's hard to find a spot on the planet that isn't in a financial pickle... but California actually has the State Fair Blue Ribbon All-Time Sweepstakes Champion Pickle. It's going to suck for everyone.

So what does that mean for me? Well, let me tell you, there are two things that spell death for music programs in the public school systems: a) Educational reform (Big high-five to Mr. Bush and "No Child Left in Band") and b) financially turbulent times.

I am confident of one thing: no one, not even Prinipal Palpatine, wants to see the music program disappear here at Empire High. Hell, if she had to slash the arts program, she'd probably try to save music out of all of the departments (only because we're the most useful to her). I don't think I should be worried just yet - given that we are a basic-aid district, my job may not be automatically on the chopping block. It does, however, put me in a position where I will have to play ball more than I would like.

Waving my contract at me in these financially difficult times is much more powerful than before. No one... and I mean no one wants to be an arts teacher looking for a job in this economy. There may be a silver lining, however - with districts trimming their budget, she may not find as much support for diverting funds into starting a marching program. If that's the case then the only way we could have one is if there is a significant number of students and families who are willing to fund-raise for one... because the football parents sure as hell aren't going to.

No comments: