So today I had the council kids show up, and they helped put the music rooms back together after the stellar floor polishing/carpet scrubbing job that the maintenance guys did in my rooms. I have shiny floors again. Even in my office. This makes me happy.
We hadn't seen hide nor hair of the new principal since the announcement of his selection. I was told that he was spending time helping his former school get up and running for the new year... not to mention the fact that the new-and-improved administrative team had a retreat of their own for the last couple days. That's why I was surprised as hell when I found him sitting at his desk when I went into the front office near closing time today.
I introduced myself. He smiled and said "Well.. tell me about your program." I gave him the Readers Digest version. (I did manage to mention that there was no marching program.) Afterwords, he smiled again and said "Well, you just tell me what you need. I'm all about building arts programs." It was short and sweet, but it was enough. He definitely has a good aura. Calm, friendly, approachable. It was soothing just to talk to him.
Score.
So now, dear readers, it comes down to a matter of giving our new boss a nickname for the blog. I know it may be premature, but the obvious choice seems to be "Principal Skywalker."
I will say, however, that my reaction to him reminded me of a vignette from a different franchise altogether:
Those of you who have read Frank Herbert's Dune may remember that when the Galactic Emperor shifted control of the all-important spice production on the desert planet Arakis from the cruel Harkonnen family to the noble Atreides family, the indigenous Fremen population, (having been abused by the Harkonnen) took some time figuring out whether or not to trust the new Duke and his family. One day, Liet Kynes, one of the most important Fremen leaders, watched on as Duke Leto Atreides sacrificed a priceless cargo of spice in order to save the lives of the men harvesting it. Kynes thinks to himself: "This Duke is more concerned over his men than the spice! I must admit, against all better judgement, I like this Duke."
It's not a perfect fit, and New Guy still has yet to proove himself, but I can not deny that I want to believe in him, the way I wanted to believe in Obama after eight years of Bush.
Principal Leto Atreides? (or for you Dune fans... Muad'Dib?... or is that a being a little too... cultish?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I like "Leto." We'll catch up soon.
I like "Leto" too; Muadib (sp) IS pushing it, for sure.
See you on campus!
Post a Comment