Thursday, August 20, 2009

UPDATE

The district announced the new principal for Empire High School. My informant was correct, the new guy is a former band teacher.

Now, this could be a double-edged sword: First of all, there are a lot of band guys who LIVE to do marching band. If he was one of those, then it is inevitable that we will have a meeting.... soon.... to discuss the blatant lack of marching at EHS. Even if he doesn't live for marching band, I'm sure the same forces that bent Palpatine's ear over the matter will find their way to him as well.

*However*

A real band guy will recognize the extreme disadvantage that a 7-12 vocal/instrumental program has in trying to develop a marching band. And when I stress the no feeder part, I trust that I really shouldn't have to explain myself beyond that. This isn't to say that he won't ask, or even try to push me in the direction of marching... but if that happens I'm trusting that he won't try to force results through uninformed, idiotic and/or abusive methods the way Palpatine did.

I'm also guessing that he will show up to concerts... at least a few. Heh, I'm not used to having admin show up who can tell when the 2nd clarinets are out of tune... It'll be fun.

No comments: