
So there is a thief among us. One who has stolen from me, twice now. It wasn't anything big... lord knows I have a lot of valuable stuff running around my office. Nope, it was a cool little trinkety thing I bought at the end of Summer. I hung it on the wall in front of my desk, along with scores of other trinkety things. Two weeks ago it disappeared. Could have been a theft... but it could have been knocked off the wall and lost when my office was in disarray because of a major furniture relocation.
I griped about it to a few people... then I bought another one and hung it in the same spot. Today, the replacement disappeared.
Okay, now I'm pissed.
I'm guessing that it's the same culprit that took the first one, and probably thinks it's funny. Okay, yeah... maybe I asked for it by replacing the first one. But I couldn't be sure. Now I am.
It's been a long time since a student stole anything from me. The thing that I hate about it the most is how it makes me try to figure out who it is without having any kind of real evidence or detective skills. Worst of all, I start being paranoid about my students... I start suspecting totally innocent kids.
A weird thought hit me today, though - this time I noticed the disappearance after school... after I had run an errand off-campus and then returned to clean up my room a bit. The rooms were locked... so I don't know who could have gotten in unless.... did the maintenance guy snake my trinkets? It sounds absurd, but the truth is that the first one disappeared right after a maintenance crew replaced my broken desk.
Unlikely? Maybe... or maybe the butler did it!
In the mean time, I'm keeping my doors locked and my eyes open.

No comments:
Post a Comment