Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rock On, Dude

Today's exchange with one of my beginning band drummers:

"Umm... Mr. M?"

"Yeah?"

"You know the December concert?"

"Yeah?"

"Well... it's on the 10th"

"I know"

"Ummmm... well I have Metallica tickets."

"....and?"

"...well, is it allright if I go?"

"......You do what you want, but I won't waive your concert participation grade, if that's what you're asking..."

"...but it's Metallica...."

"...is it that important to you?"

"Yes it is."

"Then go to the concert, and accept your lowered grade as your sacrifice in the name of teen angst."

.... (blank stare)....

"Dude... think about it: Blowing off a school event for a rock concert. Heck, they should let you in free for that."

"But... I don't want to lose points."

"Hmmm... tough one, that. Sounds like you have a decision to make."

"Can't you just....."

"No... I can't. Concert participation is part of the class. If I don't hold you to it, then I can't expect the same of anyone who'd rather be at the movies or their best friend's birthday party that night."

"Maybe you should let them."

"No. That's not what band is all about. And I said as much at the beginning of the year - if you weren't willing to do that, then you should not have stayed in the class."

"The counselor didn't say anything about this when she signed me up for band."

"Oh.... I think that's an excellent issue to bring up with her...."


Point, set, match.