So now that I've gotten my rant about society's expectations regarding musicians at athletic events out of my system - let me tell you how my particular situation played out:
I spent some time this week running around, talking to Former-Band-Director-Current-Principal Leto, Athletic Director Dan (ADD... heh heh) facebooking and e-mailing band director colleagues, and here's what we all collectively firgured out - CIF is cracking down on bands. Nothing official has been released, but it's apparent that CIF recently got a band bug up it's butt and it's starting to scratch. Someone somewhere had a star chamber discussion regarding band participation at football games, and a decision was made that was shared with the referees. They didn't however, share it with the band world - they just slapped many of my colleagues with warnings and even sanctions for doing what they've been doing for years. It left us all kind of scratching our heads.
I know several directors who intentionally make as much noise as possible in order to disrupt the opposing school's offensive team - sometimes at the request of the football coaches. I guess that kind of tactic is about to be universally eradicated. I mean, I don't particularly care - I always thought it was kind of bad sportsmanship anyway. But the 'cleansing' still means less playing time for the band, and that's going to be a pain.
Whatever, at least it's not just me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment