My student teacher was, not surprisingly, shocked by her poor evaluation. She immediately communicated her displeasure to the university student teacher coordinator, stating that she didn't agree with much of it. He called a meeting that included the three of us, as well as her university adviser (who also panned her in his own evaluation)
I came out of that meeting with more concerns than going in, because it was clear to me that she couldn't wrap her mind around why her evaluation came out the way it did. She's confused about what the expectations are, and what adjustments she should make from here on out. And while one can argue that as her advisers and mentors, we do have a responsibility to clarify things... I have to admit that I, at least, am starting to feel like the parent who is helping their kid a little too much on the homework assignments. Teachers are supposed to help develop 504 plans, not require them for themselves.
She's trying to move forward, but it is slow going. Her projection of her 'presence' in the classroom is still weak. Her lesson plans lack organization and focus. Her musical knowledge is riddled with holes... She's still in danger of not passing, and the scary thing is I don't think she understands how far behind she is in a lot of areas.
All the while I'm looking at that approaching 2-week block in January where she's supposed to take over some of my classes... And I'm wondering exactly how large of a mop-up job I'll have on my hands when it's over :-/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You have many responsibilities; and one of them (not the most important, mind you, but one of them) is to help insure that those who cannot prove their worth are not allowed through the castle gates of Credential-land. Rock on, Maestro. Rock on.
Post a Comment