I am grateful for the closing of the school year... not in a "Bring on the Summer!" (1) kind of way ... but more for the way that everything seems to be falling into place. This time last year I was battling it out over graduation music with Palpatine... and I was wound so tight that I couldn't think of anything except getting the hell away from this campus. (2) I'm usually meticulous about how I close out the school year. Last year I just kind of shoved everything in the closet and ran.
This year, everything is happening ahead of schedule: The music is collected and (mostly) organized and filed. (3) All of my financial affairs are in order. (4) The music stands are collected in the corner. The clutter is starting to disappear. Ideas for the Fall are already starting to gather (5).
I am at peace.
Mormon Concert Report: A great success! Of course, I hung out for the dress rehearsal and what ended up being a 2 1/2 hr. concert to play one piece.(6) We played the Gershwin after intermission, which meant that for the entire first half, the saxes got a chance to bond in the green room over snacks(7). The concertmaster said I could leave the stage after we were done with Rhapsody, but I decided to stay. The second half was much shorter, and it was kind of nice to just close my eyes and let the sound of the chorus just wash over me.
Maybe I'll get lucky next year and they'll play Prokofiev or Debussy and need another sax section.
1. ...and the Strawberry-Bannana Margaritas.
2. Which pissed me off because that's not how I am... I'm supposed to love this place, so much so that I'm here on weekends and late after school when I don't need to be.
3. The kids took it upon themselves to put everything in score order. Awesome.
4. Although the ASB manager doesn't want to see me for a while. I've been in her office twelve times in the last three days, dropping off donations, collections, bills-to-pay... I think about 40% of her work load in the next few days is going to be tallying the music stuff. I'll bring her a box of chocolates.
5. I'm putting them on the backburner, though... let 'em simmer until mid July.
6. But when that piece is Rhapsody in Blue, one shouldn't complain.
7. Remember what I said about Mormons and food... they don't do anything without organizing a chips & dip committee. They eventually had to move the shrimp tray out of my reach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ah, to be at peace. I envy you, my friend.
If nothing else, you deserve to have things going so well for you. Yes, it may be at the END of the year, but at least you can end the year with warm fuzzies.
Many of your colleagues will spend the next several weeks beating themselves up for what didn't go right. Relish this, Maestro. God knows when you'll feel this way again.
Post a Comment