Sunday, March 1, 2009

Well Don't That Beat All

So, even though the Drum Line bowed out of playing the Wednesday's semi-final game, we did manage to get something together for tonight's championship game. The only problem was.... it didn't happen.

Well... the game happened, but the drumming part didn't.

I decided that since Girls Sport Parent had helped the music program out in the past, and since it was he (not Principal Palpatine) that called and asked us (rather than told us) so nicely... oh what the heck. I scrounged up about 7 of the 13 kids on drum line to play. I e-mailed GSP back and told him we were coming. He responded with much enthusiasm. Meanwhile I wondered if I were sending a precedent that anyone could call us at any time, and that we would be expected to oblige.

I recruited a few parents to help haul kids and drums. We all met at the school, loaded up the gear and headed over to the host school. When we got there, we found that the parking lot was full. With only a few minutes to get the kids inside, the drivers did a tactical deployment on the curb. I told the kids to go to the event entrance and wait while I found parking.

Parking ended up being five blocks away in a residential area.

I was walking briskly back to the school when my cel phone went off. It was Suzie Section Leader.
"What's Up, SSL?"
"Um... Mr. M? They won't let us in..."

"What? Why not? GSP said he told them we were coming... or somebody did... I think..."

"They said we didn't have uniforms. They don't believe we're real band kids."

"Ummm... you showed them the drums, right?"

"Yeah... they didn't buy it."

"Okay... look, I'm only a block away. I'll talk to them when I get there. We may have to buy tickets. If we do, I'll make sure you get reimbursed"
I got to the cross walk just outside the school parking lot when my phone went off again.
"Yeah?"

"Mr. M... we have another problem."

"What?"

"They say we can only play before and after the game."

"What? I was told we'd get time-outs and stuff"

"I'm only telling you what they're telling us."

"Okay... ummm... look, I'm just across the street. I'll be there in a minute."
When I finally got there, I saw the kids and parents patiently standing outside the event entrance. Over by the ticket table I saw a woman who kind of looked like a representative. I made my way towards her. I think she expected me to be really pissed off, because she stiffened up as I approached.
"Hi.... I'm Mr. Maestro... Empire High School Music Teacher"

"Hi... look... ummm... we can't let the kids in."

"Not at all?"

"Well, not with the drums. CIF rules. No Artificial Noise Makers."
I wanted to laugh. I also wanted to say "Hey Lady, relax... I didn't want to come in the first place." I kept that bit of information to myself.
"Okay... well... look, I can tell this isn't your fault. And just for the record, people on our end specifically asked us to be here, so here we are. Obviously someone got their wires crossed."

"I'm sorry. They can still come in... just not with the drums."

"Well... we don't have a place to store them. We drove them over in an open pick-up truck, and I don't want to just leave them there. I think we need to just go back to the school. Thanks anyway."
I think the lady was kind of surprised how not pissed I was. But honestly, I had absolutely no problem turning around and getting back in my car. Of course, I was a little ticked that I had basically given up a Saturday for no reason. But at least the kids and their parents didn't hold it against me. How could they?

We all went out to eat.

The funny thing is that it ended up being kind of a nice evening out with the drum kids. We hung out in the restaurant,talked and told stories. And in the end, the botched drumline appearance may work in my favor: I'm sure GSP will feel bad about it, and although I don't plan on holding him responsible, I do think I'll earn some extra brownie points for trying... something that may be useful when it comes to dealing with Principal Palpatine in the near future.

As we walked out of the restaraunt, I turned to one of the parents -
"Thanks for coming out and helping... even though it didn't turn out."

"Oh, I think they had fun regardless. It must be hard for you, though.... coming out so late."

"Nah... it was either this or stay at home and poke around on the internet for hours."

"Do you have kids?"
I shot a look at the drummers... they were all in earshot
"No"

"Oh, well that's good. It would be a lot harder if you had kids."
I just smiled.

P.S. The drummers want T-Shirts that say "Artificial Noise Makers" :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get them the shirts!

Hey, maybe not...the noise they make is real...

And do they know?

Q6 said...

This might be something to quietly and quickly research, though. (A) Have marching bands and such been at past CIF semi-final and final events? And (B) if such rules exist and the band/drumline can't be there, does that affect her . . . demand? I knew the rule existed, I just didn't know it applied to the school's actual music program as well.

Maestro said...

A) No they don't know

B) I think the rule doesn't apply to bands, I think the people at the gate got their info wrong. But hey... it gave me the opportunity to go for pie, so no complaints there. Still, while a loud group like the drummers may be well received by some, it might make others nervous. Just like what happened on Saturday.