"Ummmmm... you're working tomorrow, right?"
"Yeah"
"First day with kids?"
"Uh huh."
"......" (odd look)
"What?"
"You're usually a ball of nerves... why are you so relaxed?"
"Because I'm not worried about who's looking over my shoulder."
"It makes that much of a difference?"
"What do you think?"
"I think that had I known it would have calmed you down this much, I would have gone down there with a stick and beaten Principal Palpatine out of her office myself years ago."
"Calm down dear... you're pregnant."
".... yeah? well, get him a little stick. He can help me."
"Too late she's gone"
"Doesn't matter"
Did I mention how much I love my wife?
Anyway, the first day went well. The usual crises kicked in. Kids crying over their schedules, begging to go see their counselors. Me crying over kids on my roster and begging them to go see their counselors (well... I was on the inside.) It didn't matter though... it was a brand new day, and I was whistling on my way down the hall. I went up to the admin office three times. Three times! The last two were just to see if it felt as good as the first time.
Only one thing made me a little sad: A few pumpkins decided to bail out of my advanced choir. Scheduling conflicts. The mother of one sent me an e-mail just this afternoon:
Mr Maestro,
We're sorry to tell you that Karen will not be able to be in Chamber Singers this year. There is a scheduling conflict with her sibling, and we can't get her there for the 0 period rehearsal. We hope you understand.
Hmmm... well, what I understand is that Karen has been trying to get into Chamber Singers since her 9th grade year. Two years ago she made it, but circumstances wouldn't permit her to join. Well, she kind of made it. Her audition was marginal, but I decided that she was so determined, I wanted to see how hard she'd work if she made it in.
It looks like I'll never know. Karen graduates this year. I hope she gets a chance to shine someday. If it ever fits into her family's schedule, that is.

No comments:
Post a Comment