Monday, September 7, 2009

New (School) Year's Resolution

S0 on the eve of the 2009-2010 school year (for which I have generated much enthusiasm), I make this promise to myself, my students, their families and my colleagues:

1) Be a better music teacher - Get back to basics. Focus on skills, not just preparing for the next concert. Include regular playing /singing tests. Get on top of attendance.

2) Be a better conductor - perform regular self-evaluations through video-captured rehearsals. More score study. Fix time problems. Fix posture and movement problems. Get my goddam head out of the goddam score!

3) Be a better planner / communicator. Call club meetings on a regular basis. Return phone calls. Return e-mails. Start pre-event tasks at least 2 weeks prior to the date.

I know that it's all well and good to make promises, especially the year in which my first child is due to arrive. I remember when I was doing my Masters: I was so busy I was forced to organize my life that much more. I was a better teacher then. I'm hoping that the little one will produce the same side-effect.

1 comment:

english maven said...

http://www.lib.umn.edu/help/calculator/ might help with the Pre-event stuff.

Good goals, Goodman!