I may have commented on this before: I always cringe a little bit when I get an older transfer student - especially an instrumentalist who came from a big school program. I say this because when they walk int he door of my classroom for the first time, they see a remedial group mixed with middle school kids, and I'm always afraid that they are going to go scrambling to their counselor to move them out of band/orchestra as quickly as possible. Sometimes they do.
Now, my problem is obvious... when my better players jump ship, it makes it much harder to recruit other talented students. I mean, I understand that it must be frustrating for a kid to sit in a class where almost everyone is younger and less capable a musician. Heck, I don't know if I'd want to tolerate that myself. At the same time, I can't help but feel abandoned.
I usually don't fault the kids for leaving if they do... I let it be their choice. Once in a while, one of them shows up in my office asking me to sign their paperwork for the state honor groups. The problem is - in order to audition for the state honor groups, they have to be enrolled in their school programs. (That's how the honor groups support the schools, who in turn send their best players.) I've had a couple of people get upset that I wouldn't just sign the paper... but them's breaks.
Now where the transfers are concerned... I have to remind myself that I can not expect loyalty out of a kid I just met. Every once in a while I get it, but I can't expect it. I do much better to focus on the kids that I recruited young - build them up, hope they get caught up in the passion to play well, and turn themselves into good players. Those are the ones that are far more likely to selflessly give back to the program. I've had a fair share of those.
I still have the problem that my better players tend to drop out of my band and orchestra altogether (usually before their junior year). Some of them try to get into my jazz class, which is a 0 period. That allows them to stay in music, but frees up a period for other classes. I also get the occasional senior who admits that the only reason they didn't want to be in the class was that they wanted to work out a schedule that let them go home at lunch.
That's the one that hurts... I mean, I like to think that despite the fact that my groups aren't the most advanced you'll find, I do manage to give them a meaningful experience. Apparently, not so meaningful that it doesn't hold a candle to being able to go hit the mall at 1 p.m. on a weekday - or be asleep in front of the TV by the time everyone else here's the last bell ring.
Whatever.
I happen to know that right now, there are at least ten capable string players walking around New Republic High School that aren't in orchestra. Some of them are caught up in the craze of building the "perfect college resume." One of them decided to switch to visual arts because that's what she wants to do for a career (can't fault her there.) A few are rumored to be avoiding me because they think themselves above the school program.
Whatever.
You know what the funny thing is... not so long ago, everyone was afraid that I wouldn't stay at NRHS. One year, one of the 7th graders looked at me and said "Mr. Maestro, promise me you won't leave until I graduate." I shrugged. Turns out that kid transferred to one of the other schools in the district before he was out of high school - someplace that was less academically competitive, where he could rank higher in his graduating class.
I know, I know... we're here for the kids, not the other way around. It just sucks, that's all... especially when there are schools within a 15 minute drive that have flourishing band and orchestra programs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment