Thursday, September 17, 2009

Go Big Blue!

First home football game is in the can. Everything went well. In fact, it was the best season start in recent memory. We had about double the amount of band kids than I had last year. So many, that I decided to order a bus. (Usually I just have the kids meet us there.)

There's a curious thing that happens at least once a year: At some point some football parent comes up to me and says "Wow, it's so wonderful to finally have the band at the games."

Ummm...

Okay folks, I've been at New Republic High School for eleven years now... there's never been a year where I didn't take the band to at least four home games. In fact, the only home games that I've missed in recent times were due to the fact that Former Principal Palpatine crippled me at the beginning of the year by enrolling totally inexperienced kids in my intermediate/advanced band class and expected me to have them ready to perform in less than a week.

So, is it selective memory? Alzheimer's? Seriously... I mean I know I'm famous for loathing marching band, but is there some stigma that resets people's grey matter ala Total Recall to the point where they don't ever remember hearing the band at the games before?

Good thing I'm a patient man. I know how to smile and nod.

1 comment:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Smiling and nodding will get you a lot of mileage with a**holes!