Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"Have a great Summer - XOXOXOX"

Here I sit on the eve of my last concert.... my last official responsibility for the 2006-2007 school year. As graduation looms closer, the image of Palpatine starts to fade in the mist of memories that starts to form around my classroom. This year I graduate a very powerful class, including many of my most talented and most dedicated performers. Some have been with me since their 7th grade year.

Yearbooks came out this week. Most teachers find them a distraction in class... usually by this time I'm done with my performances, and I'm passing around my own book for signing (I've purchased one every year since my first at *MY SCHOOL* This afternoon I read through some of the stuff penned by my students. A lot of it was pleasant yearbook euphemisms. But one senior wrote that since her father died (freshman year I think) she had looked to me as sort of a father-figure. Thats a very powerful statement... I was stunned.

As teachers we hope to give them the tools to survive in their continuing education. We hope to give them a little beyond that to enrich their lives. Every so often we impart gifts that are so profound... and yet we may not be aware of our own influence. It's very.... humbling.

No comments: