Saturday, June 16, 2007

Summer Sky

When did the days get long?

This afternoon I visited the family of a former student. They tried to get me to stay for dinner, but I had to leave, I had to do some last minute Father's Day shopping (The Errol Flynn DVD set.... If he doesn't like it, I'll take it back off his hands.) I hadn't realized how long I had stayed for. By the time I got out of Borders it was well after 8 p.m. and there was still remnants of sunlight in the sky.

Ahhh... the endless glow of Summer... Usually it is a welcome sight. Usually I watch the days get longer, noting the time of each sunset once April starts to wane. This year it snuck up on me... mostly because my attention was absorbed in my 2nd Semester crisis.

I just realized that I associate summer with sunsets, rather than the blazing image of a mid-day sun. Perhaps it is because it marks the closing of the school year.

Today it hit me how many people I say goodbye to this year. It also occured to me that I percieve the students passage through *MY SCHOOL* in generations... of which I count two since my hiring. Next year's graduation will mark the end of the second. The approaching third is a mystery to me. I do not yet forsee who will be its leaders. I hope to see a fourth and fifth... maybe a sixth.

No comments: