Thursday, June 21, 2007

The rock around which the river flows

Graduation Day always brings on a smothering lonliness. Being the last day of school, the kids can't get out of here fast enough. It leaves me alone in a room I'm not used to being alone in.
I torture myself by listening to a performance of a slow bluesy song that one of our seniors did at our winter concert. I have so many things to do.... gradebooks, cleaning.... and all I can manage is to sit in my chair like a rag doll and let the memories wash over me.

They leave... every last one of them. I don't mean to say that it's unfair... but it hurts all the same.

For the last four years I went out and bought a card for each one of my seniors. This year I didn't. There were too many of them, and I had no time to sit down and write them... what with the end of the year rush and Palpatine constantly throwing a wrench in my spiritual/emotional works. I felt unready for today, like taking a test I wasn't study for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I understand and loathe that feeling.

I can only offer this: many of them will come back to see you -- for years. Or email, or write -- for years.

I, on the other hand, will see you tomorrow!