There were two possible jobs that might have lured me away from *MY SCHOOL* One was a local school, high Asian population. Big orchestra program. The only problem is that from what I understand, the kids will regularly miss rehearsals (official class time) with the blessings of their parents to get extra study time in. It's been the culture there for almost a decade. But they already have an outside guy who does marching band. Thats a big plus. Still, something about the place bugs me. the temptation hasn't been too intense
The other was a school thats some ways north of here. I know about it because I keep running into kids from there at the summer program I work for. Affluent area. Good feeder program. But the director.... well, former director, was an ass. Major anger management issues, and was basically just phoning in his daily routine. The kids have been miserable for years... and they desperately want a better teacher. And the former guy, he's been bitching and complaining and threatening to retire for years. I was keeping an eye on it, especially lately. It sounded like the kind of place that I could mold very nicely. But I don't really feel like moving, and the commute would be unbearable.
Anyway, the second school is no longer an option. They just got a new director. I know this because she's a friend of mine. (Former student, actually.... from long before I was at *MY SCHOOL*) She just e-mailed me and told me she got the job and wanted some advice. I told her that she should just go in and follow her instincts, becuase from what I understood, anyone who would have put in half an effort would have been a major improvement.
But this girl... Arwen (yeah... named after that Arwen) she isn't just anyone. Shes a great musician, heavy training in both instrumental and vocal music. She's also just a darn good human being. Stepping back, it all makes sense. I might have done well, but the Powers that Be were definitely saving that school for her. I can;t wait to see what she does with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment