
So, despite being a raging technophile, I've always been slow to incorporate modern technology into my classroom. Part of the problem is just not having enough time to explore some of the cooler stuff like SmartMusic. The other part of it is that I'm a strong believer in the simple idea that music is an ancient institution... and that as helpful as it is, all the modern gadegtry can't really improve upon the the basic, old-school approach to taking a concept of beauty and making it maifest in sound form.
Now, this is not to say that I don't like... nay LOVE technology, nor fail to see it's practical applications. In fact, the few things I've added to my routine (digital recording being chief among them) have been quite useful. But some things have been slow to grow on me.
Sometimes all it takes to get the ball rolling is a little help from an unexpected source.... like the day before Spring Break when someone walked in to my classroom and dropped off a box containing a brand-spankin-new projector. The funny thing is, I don't remember ordering it, but I didn't ask questions... I just nodded, smiled and signed the form on the clipboard.
Now of course, the first thing I did when we got back from break was break it in with a lunchtime viewing of one of my favorite DVDs. The next day I put that bad boy to work in both my band and AP Music Theory classes. After only a couple of days, I'm thinking that I want to build a permanent station for the projector right in front of my white board.
One of my music teacher friends showed me stuff on the Vic Firth web site where you can click on various "lesson" and play along with a midi groove while reading short rhythmic passages that are presented via flash player on the screen. It's supposed to be a drum thing, but you can have wind/string players play along on a chosen concert pitch. The lessons increase in complexity as you go along.
I used it in my AP Theory class to put up examples of stuff on the board, which cut out the time wasted on drawing staff lines (it also prevents me from subjecting my students to my horribly illegible chicken scratch). I also was able to do group practice on listening skills using the Ricci Adams site.
I know, I know.... a lot of y'all have been using projectors for years now. Some of you have far more impressive gear, like smartboards and stuff. Just allow me my moment of happiness here. How often does a music teacher get to enjoy something new without having to organize a massive fundraiser first?
So anyway, if any of you (particularly you music types) have any crazy ideas on how I can use this thing, I'll take suggestions.

No comments:
Post a Comment