Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Home Sick

I once heard that there was a saying amongst teachers: Never waste a sick day being sick. I don't know how wide spread that really is, but it makes me chuckle. I usually don't spend sick days frivolously. There was one year that I used one in December (after my winter concerts were all done) to do some extra shopping.

When I first started teaching, I was afraid to use sick days because of the daunting task of preparing sub plans. I think I was just afraid that someone would find out that I didn't know how to run my class. Then one day I got horrendously sick... food poisoning I think. I was forced to call in. Once that happened, and I returned a couple of days later to find that my classroom hadn't burned down in my absence... well, it kind of opened up possibilities. After that I called in at least once a month for "mental health" reasons. Again, it was my first year and I felt overwhelmed most of the time.

These days I don't use my sick time. I usually come to work anyway if I have a cold. I stock up on flu remedies and just power through the day. Yesterday I had kind of a tough day... I was fighting off heavy symptoms and trying to put up with the recent freaky heat wave in a classroom with no air conditioning. At the end of the day I looked at myself in the mirror and said "You know what? I'm not coming in tomorrow." I tried to idiot-proof the room as much as possible, typed up a quick sub guide/lesson plan, called for the sub, and left.

I'm lucky that I have numerous assistants and responsible students who will help run things while I'm gone. As far as I know, everything went well. It was certainly a rather uneventful day for me. I probably should have spent most of it sleeping, but I was on the computer playing old games.

I did get one phone call from my accompanist, who told me that everything went well. He said that Autistic Sally in 1st period actually started crying when she heard I was sick, and kept asking how I was doing (sweet). I really don't want to know how Autistic Billy reacted.

I told everyone I'd wait and see how I was feeling before I made a decision whether or not I'll go back tomorrow. I'm feeling better, I'll probably go in.

2 comments:

Q6 said...

I'm jealous. I've been fighting a wicked head cold all week, and I've had to come in every day. I examined my calendar and found that if I moved everything I could around, the soonest I could take a day off would be . . . Saturday.

Such is the life of an administrator. :)

HappyChyck said...

LOL! I know what you mean about just powering through the suffering. Anymore, I find myself finally giving in and preparing for a sub to come the next day. (At least there's evidence I deserve a day off!) The next day I usually feel better and think I could have gone to work...but a day off helps.

Since I've had children...I've come to realize the importance of emergency sub plans. Those little buggers don't give much notice before they break arms, get ear infections, stomach flu, and etc!

Hope you had a restful day and are feeling better!