....more writing that spells eminent doom for Principal Palpatine. It's getting so bad for her, I'm starting to wonder if her career in education is pretty much over. I mean, the legal battle that she's caught up in has gone public in a such big way... all anyone has to do is google her name and out pours a plethora articles and blogs from across the internet universe that paint her in a very bad light. Of course, there's still no official word from the district as to what's happening with the supposed "administrative shuffle" next year... only rumors (and vague ones at that).
Today I talked with a colleague - Sam, a middle school band director form another district who wants to borrow an instrument from me. Nice guy... a little long winded. Three important things to know about him: 1) He's a graduate of Empire High School (back in the early 80's) and marched in the now-extinct marching band 2) He's a former administrator who decided to ditch it all and go back to the classroom. 3) He's been friends with one of our district higher-ups since grade school. And now the little bit of info that makes all of that really interesting.... he was recently asked by the aforementioned friend if he would ever consider coming back to EHS as an administrator.
....hmmmm.....
Again, it's not enough to throw a party over... and like I said before, I don't know how much partying I'd do anyway. There's no telling whether or not my next principal will be just as bad or worse. After all... as much grief as Palpatine gave me, she never took steps to eliminate the music program at EHS. There are others who would.
During the conversation Sam said "All administrators lie, you and I both know this." I don't know if I agree with him. I do know honest administrators. But I would say that the system is geared to reward the dishonest/ambitious ones. I'm also taking note of the fact that Sam got out of the admin game... so he's probably more than a little jaded.
He left me with a bit of advice that I'm going to examine: "Never say 'no' to a principal. They'll find ways of getting to you." Now obviously, I don't think he meant "As a teacher, you have no choice but to bend over and take it"... just that open resistance is usually not the route to take.
I can say for sure that my own situation with Palpatine didn't get better until I started making her think that I was giving her everything that she wanted. True... it put me back on her "good servant" list, but I do feel like I caved on my principles a little. In the long run it's probably better to be out of the crosshairs, I suppose. Still, she's taken to being nice to me (as I said before) which makes my skin crawl. I still harbor a lot of pent-up anger towards her, and while I'm not openly attacking or defying her, I'm certainly in no mood to be her "buddy." It's the main reason that I haven't told her that I'm having a kid... I really don't want any congratulations (or worse.... hugs) from her. It would feel fake, and I don't want it.
Only two days ago I got a little reminder of her strong-arm tactics: an email that informed me that my monthly stipend would be shortened for the next couple pay checks. Back in the Fall when I was in open conflict with Palpatine over the marching band issue, she instructed one of the VPs to look over my stipends with a fine tooth comb to see if I was fulfilling my responsibilities. That cost me about $2000 in R&R units. Now I can't really get mad at that, since the stipend that I lost was specifically tied to marching band, and being that I'm not doing marching band I shouldn't get it. But the e-mail was a reminder of how far she went to find a way to control me. After all, none of my other stipends were examined, just the one that mattered to her.
You know, once upon a time I was a blissfully ignorant young teacher who trusted my supervisors and assumed that they would just leave me to do the best job I knew how to do. These days... well... I'm not necessarily paranoid of all administrators, but I will certainly have a bigger price tag on my loyalty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment