Friday, April 24, 2009

Takin' It On The Road

So.... what do you do when it's a lazy Friday morning and your 1st period choir gives you that "We've been singing the same three songs for weeks" look? You take the a-capella song they know kind-of-sort-of pretty-good and you walk around school performing it to unsuspecting victims. We started off going to the JV gymnasium, which was empty at the time (just for the acoustics). Then I said "Hey, since it's a song in Latin, let's go sing it for the Latin teacher!" A few of the kids were a little embarrassed, but I got more "YEAH"s than "NOOOOOO"s. So off we went.

The Latin teacher was tickled, and afterwords gave us the translation of the text (which is basically the "Hail Mary" prayer for you Catholics). After that we decided to go to the admins office and sing for the counselors (All the VPs and even Principal Palpatine came out to listen to us), and finnished off our grand tour in the hallway in front of the math classes. I kept thinking someone would come out and yell at us for disturbing their class, but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I've done this sort of thing during the holidays with my advanced choir, but never my 1st period kids. It was neat, I think they really enjoyed it. (Or if they didn't, they at least faked it well).

Good way to start a Friday.

3 comments:

musicteacher said...

How fun! I still remember my calculus class going caroling with carols we'd wrote about math.

HappyChyck said...

That's very cool! I always invite the music department into my classroom when they go a-caroling. (It's not just the choir who travels!) My students are always very pleased with the surprise. I certainly wouldn't mind surprise visits either! Who doesn't mind a few minutes of music?

english maven said...

So awesome...come by my place next time!