Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Rising Star

One of my students today informed me that one of the other beginning choir girls has decided that, rather than staying with the school's music program, she's going to withdraw and pursue a "solo career." She doesn't want to remain in my choir because she doesn't want it to "get in the way."

Umm... Okay....

Ms. Starlet has been in my lower choir since she was a 7th grader. In fact it was because of choir class that she developed a love for singing (I gave her a solo in her first year, and it kind of took off from there.) Once she became a freshman, I kind of wondered why she didn't audition for my advanced choir. Someone said it was because my advanced choir is classical-heavy (which it is) and she didn't want to be a classical singer. Okay... fair enough... although I'm not sure where it's written that being in a classical choir ruins your "other" kinds of singing.

Now, I wasn't really angry when I heard this. After all, a student certainly has the freedom to decide whether or not to participate in my program. I was a little sad... she is a good singer and a nice kid. But I don't know if I'd call her a great singer (though she may have the potential.) She's one of those kids who loves to sing, and singing is her life. And far be it from me to say that she couldn't be an American Idol winner some day. I just don't think she's there yet... and I also don't think she's beyond being in a school choir.

I know she doesn't mean any insult, but some how it feels a little like a betrayal. I'm only saying that because... well, I had a special place that helped me find a passion for music. I never outgrew that place, and I still give back to it to this very day. That's too much to expect out of other people, I know... but I can't help but feel sad nonetheless.

2 comments:

Ms Characterized said...

The current culture tries to tell us that an individual doesn't actually need anyone to succeed. There's no one to learn from but yourself. Nothing valuable but yourself. A thousand screaming narcissists lining up for Idol.

Choir and solo work are like biceps and triceps. You can train only one, but your arm won't be strong if you do.

Q6 said...

Id suggest that you explain that Pat Benetar trained as a classical opera singer . . . .

. . . but none of them will know who that is. :(