So, I've become part of the morning break crowd. And in the process of doing that, I've come to appreciate a lot of my colleagues more. Not that I didn't like them before, but I hadn't had that much interaction with many of them. I've discovered a couple of comic-book geek types that I have a lot in common with. I've learned to appreciate a couple of the science-types that I've previously only had e-mail correspondence with. It's also helped me bond with the dance teacher a little more (she and I have been having crisis this year, we've formed a little support group).
Morning break is a happy time, especially on days when we get to talk about TV shows that a majority of us watch. There's also people who frequently bring in things to share, like their laptops with photos, etc.
To understand how meaningful this is tome.... at my last school it was dangerous to go into the faculty lounge. You could feel about a third of your spiritual and emotional energy being sucked away just by touching the door handle. Noting but should-have-retired-a-decade-ago types
complaining about the principal, the kids, the parents.... Made you wonder why they're still in the classroom.
Make no mistake, the faculty I currently serve on has a LOT to complain about these days, but somehow we manage to tell jokes, share pictures and tease each other during break. That does a lot for keeping me going through the day.
Dammit, I like these people. They're good folk, and I'm glad to be one of them.
On the other front: I finally responded to Palpatine's e-mail yesterday. I basically said:
Perhaps I need to get my own facts straight. If my enrollment only justifies two sections, then does it not stand to reason that the others will be discontinued? I have not told anyone that particular classes would be canceeled, but instead informed students and families that a general downsizing of courses offered could occur, based on low enrollment. If this is not the case, I need to know.
That was yesterday, just after lunch. No response so far, and I have a funny feeling I'm not getting one.

No comments:
Post a Comment