Friday, April 20, 2007

IIIIIIIIIIInteresting!

So today I hear this rumor that AP Music Theory isn't considered an "Art" for the UC system (fulfilling the "f" requirement.) Immediately I high-tail it to the counseling office (breaking my no-Imperial zone oath) and corner one of the counselors to confirm. Turns out that this is not the correct information. One of our counselors (whose husband is a band director, go figure) didn't see the course on a list of approved courses and told people that AP Theory wouldn't count. I was assured by another counselor that it would. I was told to check the UC approved courses on-line to be sure.

The UC site seems kind of... vague. It has a section that lists a handful of "approved" courses (no theory), but I think that those are just examples of courses that have been accepted. There was another page that said that Music Theory was definietly an acceptable course.

The reason this is important is because It was made known to me that there were students who wanted to take the class, but thought it didn't fulfill the art requirement.... so they didn't pursue it *sigh*


I think (hope) that this is an easy fix.... I just may be able to save the Theory class for next year.

But I found something else on the same page that listed theory as "acceptable".... it was a description of music classes that were deemed unacceptable:

a musical group, which performs primarily for sporting events, parades, competitive field events, and/or community/civic activities.

How ya likin' the marching band, now, Palpy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, YEAH! Take that sousaphone and stuff it!

I'm glad that your class counts, bummed that unconfirmed rumors lowerd your numbers (get the correct info up on the school website), and elated that the Marching Palpatines will be harder for her to organize before she leaves.

Joy!